Thursday, July 31, 2008

Armadillo


We got to pet a three-banded armadillo today! It was the cutest little creature.  For some reason a zookeeper brought it to the Botanic Gardens for a video conference.  Matthew told us we could come and touch it.  Linus didn't nap,so I loaded him up and we went for this amazing experience.  Linus has no clue that getting to pet an armadillo is unusual.  Which is a great perspective on life, thinking that such things are normal.  I, on the other hand, was totally jazzed up about it.  I wanted to bring it home with us.  It was so cute.

On Tuesday we received a huge amount of produce from our CSA farm and we got our first corn of the season.  Linus helped me shuck corn and then proceeded to eat his raw. Every single kernel of it.  I guess he just couldn't wait.

Here are some things he has said recently:
*"What mama thinking?"  I thought that was pretty advanced for a two-year-old to understand from the look on my face that I was contemplating something.  (I was thinking about freezing green beans at the time.)
*Lately he asks me, "Mama happy?"  I say yes and then he asks if Matthew is happy. I say yes.  Then Linus says he is happy and that everyone is happy.
*He has started using the word "actually" and he uses it correctly.  He also uses the word creature to describe animals sometimes, which he picked up from me.  
*He brought home a library book called Germs Are Not for Sharing.  After hearing it once or twice he started coughing into his sleeve instead of his hand.  He'll cough for real, point out to me that he is coughing into his sleeve, and then does a few fake coughs into his sleeve to punctuate the act.
*Every time he uses the potty one of us ends up saying, "Germs are not for sharing," to remind him to wash his hands.  One time Matthew was using the bathroom and as soon as Linus heard the toilet flush, he bellowed out, "Germs are not for sharing, Matthew!!!"  It was a riot.
*He was playing store with the real food in the cupboard and I wrote down some of what he said.  "I'm buying food for my family.  My family likes to eat couscous.  My family wants to eat more pinto beans. My family likes pasta.  I like buying pine nuts most."
*He was playing with a sticker of a camel.  He narrated the story like this: "Camel just standing there. Another camel will walk and bonk into it. They'll be friends."
*After every few bites of a sandwich he showed it to me and says it is a letter. One time a "b" and one time a "j."  Not really, but he has a good imagination.
*We were at a coffee shop that has a bunch of toys because it caters to parents of young kids.  Linus was playing with other kids and came over to tell me, "I like playing with dolls mostly.  I like playing with train mostly.  And playing bus."

Tonight he fell and split open his lip.  It was important to him that Matthew see it, but Matthew is working late.  I said Matthew would look in on him when he got home.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That creature IS cute! I like seeing Juniper's picture on the fridge in the background of the second picture! :)

Anonymous said...

I like the bonking camel story best. And how his family wants to eat more pinto beans. That could possibly be the first time those words have ever been uttered by a two year old.

Anonymous said...

Wow. He is talking in whole paragraphs. That's more than some adults!

Hope the split lip didn't hurt too much.