The next day we held Linus' party with his friends. We invited Chase, Barrett, and Lena, whose brother, Gabriel, came too. The kids were playing nicely in Linus' room with Matthew overseeing it all while the moms hung out in the dining room drinking coffee and chatting. When I felt the kids get restless I got them started on an egg and spoon game. I didn't want it to be a competitive race, so the kids were told to show us how well they could balance the eggs on spoons. I had them take the eggs from one basket to another. It turned out quite well. It was just the right amount of challenge for them. Then Gabriel suggested that he hide the plastic eggs for the other ones to find. Great idea! After a couple of rounds of that, I gathered everyone around to watch as we marked Linus' height on his growth chart. From there we transitioned over to the cake.
Linus requested a raspberry cake. I put together a lemon cake with a raspberry filling. I iced it with a lemon cream cheese frosting. I colored some of the frosting blue and made my first attempt at using decorator tips to make a pretty border around the cake. I knew I had to get some sprinkles on there because Linus LOVES sprinkles. I put a red sprinkle dot on every other blue blob shape in the border. After doing all of this I then had to figure out how to cover it up so it wouldn't dry out before the party the next day. Matthew helped me create a plastic tent over it using cans of tomatoes, a cutting board, and plastic wrap. Before we closed it up he put in two small dishes of water to provide some moisture. What crazy things we do to deal with the dryness here!
The second we all sang the last word of Happy Birthday, he blew out his candles. We couldn't have timed it better if we'd rehearsed it! Until he understands how to make a wish, I've been making his birthday wishes for him each year. I hope it still works if I didn't form the wish in my mind until after the candles were out, since he moved so fast!
While they were eating their cake and raspberry sherbet, Linus and Chase kept saying, "Mmmmmmmmm. Mmmmmmmmmm." Everyone was silly and happy. To myself I proclaimed the party a success.
4 comments:
The kids are all so very cute. Looks like you put on a wonderful party for them! :) Can you believe you're the mommy of a 3-year old??!!
Did you notice Barrett is wearing two different shoes? She almost always dresses that way. She always wears one red glitter shoe and on the other foot wears a sneaker or Crocs. It always puts a smile on my face.
And no, I can't believe my baby is three. I look at him in wonder at times.
Brandon would like everyone to know that Linus got his love of raspberries from him. "Because people in families get things from each other and Linus and I are in the same family."
Raspeberries have been a topic in our house lately because we were looking at our photo book from our California trip and Brandon's biggest reaction was to a picture from a picnic we had at Sequoia when we had raspberries. He was gushing about how they were the biggest, best raspberries he's ever had and that meal is one of his favorite memories because of those huge berries.
Stephanie, it's funny that you say that, because I tell Junie that she got her love of strawberries from Brandon!! She LOVES strawberries!! She sees them in the grocery store, reaches for them, and says "Mmmm. Mmmmmmm. MMMMMMMM." Then we have to buy them!
Post a Comment