Sunday, April 26, 2009

Vegetable Garden '09




After months of intermittent work by all of us on removing the vine from our fence, I was able to incorporate some compost into the clay and make a garden bed. My intention was to only plant peas and tomatoes, things we don't get enough of from our CSA farm. Instead, I'll be cramming in as many things as I can to accommodate Linus' demand that we plant broccoli, carrots, and green beans.

As I emptied the bags of compost onto the bed, Linus ran back and forth bringing his construction equipment to help with the work. At times we sparred over who got to work in particular areas. He wanted to be able to use the digger anywhere in the bed, including where I'd already smoothed out the soil in preparation for the peas. He let up when I went in to get the seeds. He was so excited to create the holes and drop in the seeds. Of course this activity led to new questions: Why do peas grow in pods? Why can't we plant the broccoli, carrots, green beans, and tomatoes now? Do green beans grow in pods? As expected, he soaked up all of the information and shared it with Matthew when he got home from work. It was adorable listening to Linus explain that first the root will grow down and then a leaf will grow up out of the ground. I suspect it was a proud moment for Matthew, our botanist.

Since it is too early to plant much of anything yet, Linus can still play construction site on much of the garden. This should tide him over to when he and Matthew complete building his sand box.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Sara says: Just make sure he doesn't work in the garden once you plant the seeds! He looks pretty cute helping out.

Star said...

I'm sure he made Matthew proud with his new knowledge! I'm envious of what will come from your garden. I'm not going to plant a garden this year because I'll be too pregnant/hot/cranky to tend to it. At least I'm realistic, right? When I'm ready to plant one next year, I'll call Linus for advice!

Anonymous said...

I can remember Tanya cooking "Roger's bean" way back. He had a bean plant and it only produced one bean, but they harvested, prepared, cooked and ate it! Linus is such good company for all these projects you do, and it's a wonderful opportunity for him to learn so much!
Jean