Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bouquet


I got out Linus' little vase that he used in his room last summer. He picked Johnny Jump Ups for it and put it on the bookshelf next to his bed. I also got out my flower press and we put some in there to dry and be used in some unforeseen project.

This morning he told me, "I love you in plain sight." My mind immediately went at the words like I were analyzing a poem.

We joined friends at the zoo this afternoon. I took Linus and Chase to the bathroom and while they took turns Linus told Chase, "I love you." She put her hands on his face and said, "I love you." Then they started giggling and chanting, "I love you!"

We went to play with friends we haven't seen in a couple of weeks because we've all been sick. Linus said to them, "We had a virus. It is mostly gone, but not all gone." The kids, ages five and three, just looked at him blankly. So begins the era of him receiving blank stares when using vocabulary his peers don't have. I swear I'm not purposely turning him into a geek.

The staff at the dentist office once again praised Linus for sitting so still and accommodating their various requests to put tools in his mouth. His teeth are all healthy and he got to put a big red star on the outside of his chart to show that he had no cavities. A clean bill of health also meant that he got to choose two prizes from the basket. He picked out plastic bugs. One is a grasshopper. I think the other is an ear wig, but Linus doubts me and wants to ask Matthew his opinion.

2 comments:

Star said...

What a smart boy he is! I love his vocabulary. You can tell he comes from a home with a plethora of books and much conversation. :) If that makes him a geek, then...may all of our kids be geeks!! :)

BryAnn said...

With the 2 of you as his parents, he may have no choice but to become a geek. Fortunately, society is (slowly) becoming more accepting of geeks. And I speak as a geek, or at least a nerd.

By the way, did you hear the episode of To the Best of Our Knowledge called Revenge of the Nerds? We're facing an uphill battle but we're winning (slowly).