Sunday, May 03, 2009

What's Going On?



We planted some more seeds in our little garden. We got the lettuce and broccoli in and have to be vigilant at keeping the soil moist. We visited the Garden with friends and got another look at the dinosaur sculptures there for a temporary exhibit. I had fun instructing the kids in holding their hands very still in the pond to see if the koi would come over to taste them. I was most excited to check on the peonies there.

We were looking forward to the start of a music class for Linus, but the day before it began I got a call that it was cancelled because enrollment wasn't high enough. Linus cried and was very disappointed. I'm in search of another one for him. I didn't realize how interested he was in it.

Lyz painted and framed some watercolors for Linus and he was excited about receiving them. While he unwrapped them he went on with some sort of rhyming riff. Later he told me, "Such magical pictures she made for me. I love to get art in the mail!"

More pill bug conversations have occurred: He said, "Maybe they eat other creatures in the ground." Then he asked the ones in his bug jug, "What do you like? Ants? Other sow bugs? What do you like, sow bugs?" Then he told me, "The sow bugs are my new friends." The ones we have in the yard are actually pill bugs, because they do roll up. I made a mistake in telling him sow bugs and pill bugs are the same.

Thursday afternoon we were playing at the playground. While I was pushing him on the swing he asked, "Why is the sky blue?" I've thought about this moment since I was pregnant with him. I told him, "The way the light bounces off the particles in the sky makes the sky look blue." He accepted that answer. Then I wondered how right I was.

Here are some other things he has said or asked recently:

"Why does the world go from day to night?"

"We can't see our food go into our stomachs." I said, "No; would you like to?" He answered, "Yes. Why do our bodies need food?"

I can't remember what precipitated this, but I told him he was foiling my plans. His response was, "Well, kitties foil plans."

"Mama, read that book to me. I can't read it correctly."

If you ask him what his favorite color is, you'll get an answer like this: "I love yellow. I love blue. I love purple. I love black. I love pink. Green. I love orange. I love white."

He says his favorite song is "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep." He has had a thing for that since last summer when he yelled it out like a rock star.

"Dead head me. I'm a flower."

"I want my big intestine out of me. It is too big."

5 comments:

Star said...

I want to make the "dead head me" comment into a calligraphy wall-hanging. That cracks me up!!!!! Linus is hilarious...and he doesn't even know it!

stephanie said...

Linus totally needs his own reality show. It would be a hit!

BryAnn said...

He wants his big intestines out?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Aunt Sara said...he is 3 and knows what intestines are? That child is seriously amazing. He says the funniest things.

stephanie said...

Hey, we just hooked up our new computer and the first webpage we went to was this one! Doesn't Linus feel special!