Sunday, September 13, 2009

1st Day of Preschool




Linus enjoyed preschool, but he hasn't talked about it very much. On our way there he kept running ahead and then running back to me. He said, "I'm running because I'm so excited to go to preschool!" I allowed just the right amount of time to get there. Even with a stop to open acorns under an oak tree, we got there in time to take a picture and get him up to class. He was definitely nervous with all of the parents and kids waiting outside the classroom door. I tried to occupy him with finding his cubby and Chase's as well. Only half the class had Wednesday as their first day and Chase wasn't starting until Friday. I underestimated how much that mattered to him. Heidi and Laura had the kids sit on carpet squares to start the day. When Heidi asked if everyone was there, Linus called out, "Chase isn't here!" He seem troubled by this. I told him that Chase was starting on Friday and then class started and I left.

The house was so very quiet without him there. I didn't get much of anything done because I was thinking about him growing up so fast. I felt a bit competitive about sharing him with his teacher. He's mine, mine, mine! But I knew he was having fun. On a whim I stopped by a bakery and picked up a little cake to surprise him with after dinner. We celebrated with him and watched Obama give his health care speech to Congress.

When Matthew asked him about preschool he said, " "We made marbles. We did red, blue, and pink. We had strawberries and fish crackers. We ran around. And Heidi said we were the best cleaners!"

4 comments:

Star said...

How bittersweet for you. I get teary-eyed just thinking about you returning home to an empty house. I dread the day...

He looks so cute!

Anonymous said...

Stacey, you are doing a great job! Look how self confident Linus looks in the picture by the fence. I see a lot of both you and Matthew in that cute little face, AND the expression, AND the stance.
Love,
Jean

linda said...

johanna starts preschool tomorrow! she's so excited, and already made friends with the shyest girl in the class. we're on the fundraising committee, and happy about it! funny.

Red said...

what a big boy he is. And you too; letting go is part of growing up