Sunday, November 14, 2010

Autumn 2010





What a fun time Linus had on his field trip to the Colorado Ballet's studio! Miss Kay was able to arrange this rare treat because one of her students has parents who work for the Colorado Ballet. I went along for the fun and witnessed all of the wonder this trip entailed. A number of the girls came dressed up in tutus and with satin ribbons in their hair. After hearing the story of The Nutcracker in one of the practice rooms, we were quietly herded upstairs to where some of the dancers were rehearsing. We all lined up on the floor against a wall and respected the serious work of the dancers by remaining as quiet as possible. Linus was enraptured! Since then he has been dancing to the Chinese Dance from the Nutcracker Suite, which was the piece the dancers practiced. We will be attending the performance on December 4th and are all looking forward to it.

Linus chose to be a sea turtle again this year for Halloween, but with the addition of flippers and face paint. He trick-or-treated with Emma, a two-year-old friend of ours. I stayed home to read War and Peace and hand out candy, while Matthew chaperoned the kids dressed up as a glass of lemonade.

Linus has been helping me with raking leaves, doing DK sticker books, and starting to read the beginning readers I got for him a while ago. I suggested he read one to me, because I suspected he would be able to read the whole thing. Sure enough, he managed it all, with only one reminder about how to pronounce that word that is spelled "t-h-e" and can't be sounded out correctly. Matthew and I have had the suspicion that he is gradually teaching himself to read.

He continues to be a happy kid, but has been throwing tantrums a few times a week. It is hard not to laugh when he grumpily tells me, "You can't have dessert tonight! Your behavior is inappropriate!" I don't think so, kiddo.

6 comments:

Star said...

He does indeed look very absorbed in that first photo. Theater is so magical when you're a kid...and an adult. I don't think that magic ever wears off!

Stephanie said...

Linus' friend Emma is adorable! Was she a gingerbread person?

BryAnn said...

so, will you be signing him up for lessons?

Mattthew said...

Last night Linus was quoting the owl book "all owls think a lot" and he observed that this was true. and asked if I thought so. And I said well , yes, sometimes groups of animals like owls seem to have personalities. LInus said no, the don't have personalities. "They have animalities." And had to admit he was right!

Matthew said...

I got a joke ornament for Christmas--a calculator. Linus has appropriated it, and chose a picture of himself doing math to go in it it. He really did a worksheet of simple addition and subtraction, counting out on his fingers and writing down a (correct and mostly decipherable) answer.

Star said...

That's because Linus is brilliant! The kid amazes me! I love his animalities comment.