Sunday, February 13, 2011

Snow and Valentines




We are having the best winter weather this year! I love it! We got a really good snowfall, followed by a few days of very cold temperatures, and then another snowfall. We've had snow on the ground for over a week. I think this has only happened once since we moved here. We've had fun shoveling snow and Matthew and Linus built two snowmen last weekend. School was cancelled one of the days and Linus and I made chocolate chip cookies, did puzzles, and drank lots of hot chocolate.

Enrollment forms were due at Linus' future elementary school and I didn't turn them in until the last day. I'm not ready for him to go to kindergarten, but he is definitely ready. One Friday a few weeks ago he was moping around the house and when I asked what was wrong, he said, "I wish I had school today." My baby is growing up. I cried to Matthew how it wasn't that long ago that we stared at his birth certificate in awe, and now I had to pull it out to take to the school. While we were at the school office, Linus liked hearing an announcement made over the PA and he was impressed that the drinking fountains were at two heights (one for little kids and one for big kids). When people ask him which school he will attend he proudly says, "Teller!"

He and his classmates are excited about exchanging Valentines tomorrow. I'm playing a game with the kids during their party. The dramatic play area is now set up to be an airplane and Linus likes making announcements over the microphone.

My quilt store is going out of business and Linus went to their sale with me. I found him a seat on the stairs where he could play with his Etch a Sketch and be out from under anyone's feet. I kept circling back to check on him and one time found him chatting with a woman who was waiting for her friend to finish shopping. She said he was "very well-spoken and a good conversationalist." By the end of our two-hour shopping adventure, he was taking shopping baskets to people in the very long line. He had everyone charmed. People told me he was very polite and well behaved. Thank heavens! I was worried he'd get impatient and I wouldn't get a chance to take advantage of the sale prices.

4 comments:

Star said...

Maybe if the quilt store had hired Linus a long time ago, they'd still be in business! I get a bit weepy thinking about him going to Kindergarten. I can only imagine what you're going through.

Anonymous said...

Well, he sounds like a chip off both old blocks: plenty of energy to join in and work hard. What a swell kid!! Please tell him how proud we are that he's such a thoughtful helper!
love,
Jean

Stacey said...

Star, the store is closing because the owners are retiring. I don't know if they tried to sell the business, but I wish someone were taking it over. The nearest quilt stores are in the suburbs and I hate driving out there.

Matthew said...

He was really good about rolling snowballs big enough to make the snowman. wasn't detered by small difficulties, just asked for help.