I sent out homemade invitations to Linus' birthday party. Since we were still unpacking and settling into the house, I made simple ones with a bright blue and green palette and pasted a plaid bird on the front of each one. We had four children attend the big event: Chase, Lucero, Lena, and Lena's four-year old brother Gabriel. I was relieved that the weather was pleasant so the children could play outside with balloons, a crawl-through tube thing, and a giraffe tent I picked up on sale a number of months ago.
We gave each child a bird water whistle. With water inside of it, blowing can produce a warble instead of just a loud whistle sound. The whistles were a hit, especially when Matthew put down a big bowl of water so the kids could refill their whistles themselves. Water and noise makers! What fun!
I made Linus a pistachio cake with a light green cream cheese frosting. I really surprised him with the Playmobil bird feeder set on top of the cake. I was most pleased with myself for thinking to use cookie sprinkles as a stand-in for bird seed. He got a kick out of that.
Linus liked all of the neat presents he received from his friends. Lena and Gabriel gave him a remote control train. Chase gave him an unfinished wood bird house, paint for painting the bird house, a little notebook for his bird watching notations, and a bird checklist. Lucero gave him a real china tea set in a wicker basket. He especially likes to serve us tea in the dainty cups.
Then the kids went home, we tucked Linus in for a nap, and I sank down into the couch next to Matthew and proclaimed that we'd properly feted his birthday.
5 comments:
I love the cake! It turned out great with the Playmobil stuff, I'm glad Linus appreciated it. Can you post some pictures of him opening his gifts.
Did he eat his cake?
His cake is so very cute! I'm sure he felt very special on his big day. Looks like he had fun with his friends! Did he enjoy unwrapping his gifts? He looks like such a little man (although I'm sure you're not ready to hear that yet)!
His cake is so very cute! I'm sure he felt very special on his big day. Looks like he had fun with his friends! Did he enjoy unwrapping his gifts? He looks like such a little man (although I'm sure you're not ready to hear that yet)!
Sorry...it got posted twice. Trigger happy.
Happy Birthday, Linus! I can't believe he's 2 years old already.
Post a Comment