I was so very happy that it snowed all day yesterday. It wasn't big, fluffy snow, but it covered the ground nonetheless. We stayed inside and sipped mulled cider and decorated a bit. The high today was around 40, but that didn't stop us from shoveling the sidewalk when we had the chance. Actually, I shoveled the sidewalk and Linus shoveled the lawn. The snow here is so dry and light that it takes little time or effort to clear the sidewalk. We hadn't had our fill yet, so I shoveled for our next door neighbor and Linus tackled her lawn. He liked pretending that he was Thomas clearing snow from the train track and I was both of his coaches, Annie and Clarabel. Then we went inside and I got him started on an art project while I worked on Christmas cards. I cut out wreath shapes from construction paper (he chose orange) and he decorated them with stickers and coloring.
After lunch we went to the mall. He hasn't been there since last winter. He was a delightful shopping companion for much of the trip. He was mesmerized by the glass elevator and all of the pretty decorations. His favorite shop window had motorized decorations. Two were the kind that work using magnets: an ice skating rink with skaters and one was a sledding hill with sledders zooming down it. The shop also had a window with a train going around a Christmas tree, but it wasn't working until the shop keeper took pity on Linus and got it going again. We were there a very long time watching the displays, but I couldn't afford to buy anything in the store. They had argyle socks in Linus' size (wouldn't that be cute?!), but I couldn't justify paying the asking price. Maybe they'll be super cheap in January.
On the way home from shopping he fell asleep in the car holding his stuffed Santa. He received the Santa for his first Christmas from my friend Pat. When we got it out with the holiday decorations yesterday I was instantly reminded of sitting across from Pat at Kavarna having lunch. Linus was eight months old and sitting on our laps while we visited. He was delighted when I pulled it out of the box.
Here are some recent quotes from him:
Talking about one of his cars, "This is where gas goes so it can drive and breathe."
He was playing swimming pool and said, "The water is cold. I'm going to get polar bear." He came back from his room with snowy owl and polar bear and said, "I got them because they both like to be cold."
He was coloring on some paper and all of a sudden announces that it is for grandma and grandpa. A few minutes later I find him trying to open the front door. He told me, "Hang it up so letter carrier can take it and put it in his van and go to grandma and grandpa."
He put on his snail necklace and said, "I'm wearing it! It's so pretty!"
"I'm excited about Thanksgiving. We get to have rolls!"
Today he said, "I like turmeric because it's yummy and good for me."
2 comments:
Sara says: What fantastic vocabulary your child has! And argyle socks? What size does he wear? I will look for some here. I bet I can find some.
It's true, he has no fear of big words. One of my coworkers has a word of the week on her office door. "Turmeric" is a contender, and its botanical, too!
Post a Comment