Sunday, February 07, 2010

Preschool Update




We are all enamored with Linus' preschool, so we are signing him up to attend one more year there. He is always excited to go there and is full of joy telling me about what he did that day. They made crystals on Friday and even though he could tell me they used water, food coloring, and Borax, I have no idea how they made them. He told me to find out how because he wants to do them at home, too. Heidi has had the kids practice writing their first names each day. Last week when I picked him up he announced, "I wrote an 's'! All by myself! I thought about it while I wrote the other letters. And then I tried it and wrote it. I wanted to try it so you'd be proud of me." I cheered him on and told him, "I am proud of you. I'm proud of you for doing your best!"

He gets along with all of the kids, but he has noticed that three of the girls "really like each other a lot!" A couple of weeks ago those three were starting to act cliquey, but Heidi and Laura nipped that in the bud. They explained that everyone is friends at school. If someone says another kid can't play, then they've been instructed to say, "It's not okay to say you can't play." I'm amazed how effective this strategy is. They provide the kids with verbal tools to use in difficult situations and the kids put them to use and relationships run quite smoothly in class. My favorite continues to be, "Stop! I don't like that," which is declared while holding one's hand up and out like a stop sign. (Perhaps I should fly to Washington and provide a workshop to members of Congress.)

Some things Linus has said recently:

* I was on the couch recovering from a stomach flu and Matthew went to change the radio from news to classical music. As he did this Linus said," Yes, relaxing sick person music." Usually he refers to it as "pretty music."
*He was having a dessert of lego-shaped candies. He took a few pieces out of the bag and then told Matthew he could put the bag away. Matthew praised him and said, "Good job limiting yourself to a moderate amount of candy." Linus replied, "Thank you. But I don't know what moderate means."
*I was getting him out of the car and he asked, "Can we go to outer space?" I told him that we may be able to one day, but not at this time. "Why not?" he asked. I told him the fuel for rockets is really, really expensive. I love how he thinks that going to the rain forest, Hawaii, or space is like going to the library.
*Sometimes I'm surprised at how mature he has become. We had a friend joining us for dinner and Linus made such polite conversation with her. He told her his favorite foods are pancakes and blueberries. Rather than continuing on jabbering away, which how he is with us at the dinner table, he looked to Marie and asked, "What are your favorite foods?" A bit later he told her, "It is nice having you for dinner." Yay! I was cheering on the inside. She did get to witness a bit of a tantrum when Matthew hauled him off for a bath.
*He was playing with cars on the bathroom floor while I got ready in the morning and I overheard him say that one of the cars was being presidential. I queried, "Presidential?" He answered, "Yes. What does presidential mean?" "Well," I answered. "Being presidential means you are wise and make important decisions for a lot of people about big issues." He said, "Obama is presidential of everything."

(Pictures from the Denver Art Museum. Don't you love how cutting requires one to stick out their tongue in concentration?)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell us about that interesting forest of colored sticks Linus is standing in. What is that?
Jean

Stacey said...

Those aren't sticks. They are bungee cords strung floor to ceiling in a little room. As I stood at one of the openings to catch glimpses of Matthew and Linus I continually heard laughter from everyone who went through it. I lost count of how many times Linus went through it throughout our time there. For another picture to get a better idea: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98714465@N00/4338104753/in/set-72157623248841671/

Star said...

Oh, I so wish I could sit down and have tea with him! The things I would learn! What an amazing little kid he is. I just realized that in a couple months, he'll be four. FOUR??!!

BryAnn said...

:)

stephanie Hammes said...

I love his comment about the candy. He's such a character.