The absolute highlight of the second half of this month was our experience rescuing orphaned baby squirrels. I sent Linus and Matthew back to the park with binoculars to see what kind of bird was making a shrill call from the nest. It turned out there were two baby squirrels in search of food and their mama. Sadly, she was dead on the ground not too far from their tree. We believe she was struck by a car, as the tree is near a busy street. One squirrel was on the ground and Matthew and Linus brought it home. The other one was too high up in the tree for them to reach. When I returned from being out, they had the squirrel tucked into a box with a warm water bottle. I went back out into the dark to look for the other little one. It was sleeping on the ground under the tree. We fed it some drops of a homemade squirrel pedialyte and I tucked it in with its sibling. Linus was very understanding that we couldn't have direct contact with them because they needed to remain wild. The next day while he was at school, I drove them 45 minutes to give them to a wildlife rehabilitator. It was hard to part with them, but we did all that we could for them.
We also took Linus to his first play and musical. We saw The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley. In the weeks leading up to the performance, he wondered how they were going to have an actor become flat. They accomplished it by dressing the actor in a flat, foam outfit that hung from the front of his body, which was clothed in black. The music and plot was fun. Afterwards, we played in the playground that is outside the Arvada Center. It included an amazing concrete dragon that kids can climb on.
With his birthday party just over a day away, he is excited to have his friends over to celebrate his turning five. Matthew and I cried last night when we looked at the photos from his first birthday. This has been the most amazing five years of our lives.
3 comments:
how exciting to rescue a baby animal. I totally have a vivid memory of rescuing baby bunnies in our back yard with my mom and bringing them to the wildlife sanctuary.
and that dragon looks amazing!!
How sweet!
Okay, from now on, just imagine that every comment I will leave to your posts will be either:
How sweet!
How adorable!
Awwwwwww
:)
I second what BryAnn said! It's hard not to say such things aloud when I look at each and every picture of him. He's such an amazing little boy. I wish we lived closer...I know he and Junie would be fast friends!
Post a Comment