Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Linguaphile



Linus hasn't said anything in English yet, but maybe he is researching languages to decide which he would like to speak.

We had a fun playdate yesterday here at our house. Johanna had a pink barrette in her hair that Linus tried to pull out. I explained to him that it was a hair pretty and I felt a bit sad that boys don't typically wear barrettes. If he wants to, maybe he can borrow some from Johanna. Baby James has very sweet curls and doesn't need any hair accessories.

Linus had a rough day of teething yesterday. Having guests helped keep him distracted. He didn't sleep so well Sunday and Monday, but he slept for over 12 hours last night and woke up very chipper this morning. But, alas; still no tooth!

As an aside, someone wrote a guest column in our local paper complaining about Brit-speak getting into our language lately. Firstly, what do they mean by lately? We speak English, don't we? And that came from where?! Secondly, I love Brit-speak. I especially like the use of "whilst." The columnist complained specifically about the use of tarmac and centre. He said that it made users sound pretentious. I disagree.

4 comments:

Alex said...

It's cool that Linus is a linguaphile, Johanna's a bibliophage which isn't so good.

Anonymous said...

Re: anti-Brit speaker.
1. Language changes all the time, just as society, politics, technology, economics, etc, changes. Cultures change and thus language changes to reflect this. Is that what the writer really has a problem with?
2. English as we know it now is a hodge-podge of English, German, Latin, Spanish, Hindi, Chinese, Arabic, and all the other languages ever spoken by the immigrants that build this country.

So what was the columnist's solution?

Anonymous said...

Brandon brought home 1001 First Russian Words from the school library yesterday. He can teach some to Linus. It's such fun to see which books catch his eye. He also checked out a National Geographic magazine. The cover has an eye of a hurricane on it. I asked him what interested him about that magazine and he said "it tells you what's going on in the world. Like the newspaper, mom." Of course there is that old joke about boys liking National Geographic because of the pictures of tribes-women "au natural" so when we look at it tonight we'll have to see....

Anonymous said...

Susan says: I can not believe he still has no teeth! A guy at work has a son who shares Linus' birthday and he has a mouthfull! It is amazing how all babies grow up different. Are you sure there are teeth under those gums? :)