We celebrated Matthew's birthday this weekend. During the day on Friday Linus and I made his cake. It was a yellow cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting. I used a cake recipe out of my high altitude cookbook, but it still turned out a bit weird. It tasted fine, considering it wasn't chocolate, but it is rather dense. Although Linus wasn't eating much yet, he still wanted to lick the frosting off the beater. I obliged him. I think that is a child's inalienable right.
We spent yesterday morning doing yard work. I planted my numerous hens and chicks that Matthew and Linus got for me over a month ago at the Cactus and Succulent Society plant sale. I get such a kick out of hens and chicks and now I have eight specimens and 6 different varieties. Linus and Matthew planted a pot together and then Linus watered my plants in. Linus refers to them as "hens chicks" and "Mama's hens chicks."
My favorite part of the weekend was hearing Linus sing happy birthday. He says it more than sings it and just repeats the "happy birthday to you" line and instead of saying, "To Matthew," he would make like he was blowing out candles. Very cute. He sang it while we iced the cake and then again when we did the cake with Matthew. I had us sing to Matthew a few times so I could hear Linus sing. It always cracked me up.
6 comments:
Tee-hee. I'd love to hear Linus sing! I agree that kids should always get to lick the icing off the mixer, and since Juniper isn't old enough to do that yet, I'm gladly filling in for her!!
I've never been a fan of hens and chicks (the plants). I've been getting into dahlias lately.
So glad he's feeling better.
Of course, cake and icing does that for a person.
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I'm a little out of the loop--I've been offline lately. But I just noticed--Linus has LIT-TLE Keens! Oooh!
The Keens are Lucero's. She outgrew them and her mama offered them on loan to Linus. When he outgrows them were are to give them back so Lucero's future sibling can wear them. Linus totally lucks out in the handmedowns he gets. Much better than we would buy for him new.
Lucero's mom as GOOD TASTE! :)
Post a Comment