Thursday, September 04, 2008

Jam Surprise Muffins


Linus asked for us to bake.  He requested gingerbread cookies, which to him means any kind of cookie made with cookie cutters.  I suggested scones, which he readily agreed to, but we didn't have sour cream.  I quickly chose a recipe for Jam Surprise Muffins.  He didn't completely understand what the surprise was until he got to eat one.  After we mixed the batter, I put some in each muffin spot and he put in a dollop of raspberry jam.  He kept wanting to eat jam straight from the jar. Then I put more batter on top and we baked them.  We made both little and normal size ones.  When he bit into one of the little ones he exclaimed, "I found the jam!"  And I said, "Yes, that is the surprise!"

When we returned from the park yesterday afternoon he was rubbing his nose and crying, which led me to believe he was coming down with Matthew's cold.  He insisted I snuggle with him on the couch, which I did while Matthew made grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner.  Next thing I knew, Linus was throwing up all over me.  Fortunately, most of the vomit was on me and very little got on the couch. I called for Matthew and while he was helping us out of our icky clothes and comforting Linus, the sandwiches became rather overdone.  And of course as soon as Linus was done crying, he asked for food.  

I feel like mother nature flipped over into fall the second we got out of the Labor Day weekend.  I'm loving most of it.  Matthew came home with a cold Tuesday, so the virus season has begun.  It has been cool at night and we've been closing up most of the windows.  We've been able to wear pants and long sleeves.  It has been cool enough for me to work in the garage at getting the last of the move finished off.  Except for the virus thing, I am reveling in this perfect weather.  I love to be able to wear long sleeves and snuggle under a cozy with Linus on the couch.  Summer days will sneak in again here and there, but we are definitely shifting gears.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Linus and Matthew are both feeling better. I love the owl shirt!!

Stacey said...

He looks adorable in the shirt. The blue looks gorgeous with his blue eyes and blonde hair. and the I'm a hoot bit suits him quite well.

Anonymous said...

The weather did the exact same thing here too. I'm not quite as happy about it as you are though. However without thinking about it I instantly kicked into fall cooking mode and made roasted sweet potatoes with dinner this week...yum!