Wednesday, January 21, 2009

1.20.09



January 20, 2009 isn't a date Linus will commit to memory, but I shall carry the memory for both of us. He and I went to watch Obama's inauguration at Rich's and Lisa's house with other friends from the neighborhood. We watched the parade at home in the afternoon while eating lunch and playing. Linus was very interested in talking about Sasha and Malia moving into a new house. When the moving trucks were shown on the tv he was concerned that their trains and stuffed animals would be moved in.

At night all three of us attended a party hosted by other neighbors, Lon and Wendy. It was wonderful to spend time with friends and new acquaintances, reveling in the magic of the day. Linus got to bed an hour and a half late and passed out almost immediately. I was emotionally drained but still hyped up at bedtime. I have yet to have a chance to absorb and process all of the symbolism of yesterday and what it all means to me.

I woke up this morning feeling buoyant and very conscious all day that Obama was already at work tackling the challenges our nation faces at this time. Linus wanted to be the first to open the newspaper and pointed out the First Family on the front page. He named off Barack Obama, Michelle, Malia, and Sasha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words here made me cry. I haven't found a way to put into words what the day meant to me. I cried through most of it (hormonal, pregnant) but they were tears of joy and amazement. For the first time since 9/11, the sight of the American flag made me smile. The symbolism of that flag was hijacked by the Bush administration and we now have rescued it. Juniper enjoyed the parade and marched in circles around the living room. We've decided that she is infatuated with Obama, judging by how she squeals, "Bama!!!!" every time she sees him. I'm glad Linus got to enjoy the excitement of the day. I'm still walking on air.

Anonymous said...

how fabulous that he can name the First Family. And how wonderful that we have a new first family!!!!!!!!