Monday, September 25, 2006

First Pumpkin



We were out doing yard work yesterday in the gorgeous fall weather and our neighbors invited us to bring Linus over to pick out a pumpkin. Mark has a bit of farmland and grows pumpkins for fun. He'd loaded up his truck with some and had them in their backyard. Linus chomped on this pumpkin's stem, so we knew that was the one he wanted. Mark showed us a newspaper clipping of their daughter, Stacie, from 1986 with a photo of her standing in one of their very large pumpkins. She was 7 months old at the time.

It was great to be outside together cutting the lawn and cleaning out a flower bed to put in rudbeckia and echinecea Matthew brought home from the Garden. Too bad the weekend went so fast and Matthew is back at work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, oooh! Remember Brandon's scrapbook pages of his first Halloween and I bought that stencil thing where you cut out the pictures in various shapes and it makes a large pumpkin? Like a puzzle? And it cost, like $9 and I said how dumb that was to pay $9 for something I would use once? Well, you can use it!!! Now it's down to $4.50 per use! Bargain!

(I'm sick and I'm out of bed for the first time all day so I'm a bit giddy.)

Susan said...

I remember growing up, it was always fun to "do pumpkins" and it is nice you can now enjoy that with your son. I go home each year to carve them with daddy. He likes to do it and so we have fun.