Thursday, February 08, 2007

Walking Adventures


If I'm in another room, Linus is apt to walk unassisted. I spy on him from around corners to see him navigate over books and around toys. He takes very slow, careful steps. He gets into trouble sometimes when he bends down to pick something up and then gets stuck in that position. He cries out and I pop out of my hiding place to help him stand back upright. He still falls around three times a day. I scoop him up and hold him close. Once he feels better, he is ready to try walking again.

If I'm nearby, he grabs my finger and off we go. The other day we were in the kitchen and I was trying to scrub part of the floor on my hands and knees. He walked over, reached out for my hand, and proceeded to walk into the other room, effectively pulling me from my Cinderella task. Worked out quite well, as I'd rather play and read with Linus than scrub a floor.

We met up with Pat at Kavarna yesterday and Linus took my hand and walked us behind the counter. Maybe he was looking for Linda. At this age, he knows no boundaries.

Even if he's walking by holding onto me, he does let go and walk on his own if he wants to get into something, like the trash.

In this photo Linus is looking at the book catalog we got at Butterfly Books. We took Linus there to redeem his gift card from Star and John. A Newbery Award winning author was there, Cynthia Kadohata, and he walked right up to her. The bookseller introduced him to her, so she now has the honor of being the first author Linus has met.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What were you doing on your hands and knees? They make mops with long handles, you know.

Love those red Linus cheeks!

Anonymous said...

Yes, you put my cleaning style to shame.

Anonymous said...

You cleaning the floor reminds me of a sign Mari used to have in her kitchen. It said: "You can eat off my floor...it has crumbs all over it!"

Stacey said...

I feel a need to scrub the floor 3-4 times a year because mopping just doesn't quite cut it. Plus, I'm spending a lot more time on the floor and can see how dirty it really is. Maybe it is a stay-at-home parent thing to do. I feel that I have no excuse to have a dirty house because I'm home much of the time.