Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Little Kid's Dream



I took Linus on a fun outing to see a digger, tractor, street sweeper, and big truck.  A library in a neighboring county had the county highway department set up in their parking lot as an event for their summer reading program.  (Notice a theme here? Our social lives revolve around the library.)  On the way there, I told Linus we were looking for Holly Street.  He said, "No. No Holly.  No Holly."  I asked him, "Then what street are we looking for?"  He said, "Digger Street."
We had a difficult time finding parking and when we got to where they were set up, the place was buzzing with the excitement of many young children.  They were all so excited to get to sit in a digger. We went to the table set up and the highway guys were handing out packaged up yellow safety vests like road construction people wear.  This added to the energy in the parking lot.  While waiting in long lines for turns to sit in each piece of equipment, kids ran around swimming in their large vests.  My favorite image that sticks with me from the event is the sight of a girl about 3 or 4 years old running around in a pink tutu with her construction vest.  Very cool.
About thirty seconds into Linus' turn in the digger, he started pointing at things and saying, "What this called?"  I could explain the gas and brake pedals, but not what all of the levers were for.  He accepted my general answer of levers to control the bucket.  
He only got to sit in the digger and tractor because it took well over an hour of standing in lines to get to do those two things.  We weren't dressed warm enough and it sprinkled a bit on us, but Linus was determined to "drive" the tractor and digger.  He talked about the experience several times today and when I was kissing him goodnight and told him I'd had a fun day with him, he mentioned the digger again.  The highway department made a lot of kids happy today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He looks so cute in his construction vest!