When I was washing our lettuce from the CSA farm I discovered a little green caterpillar. My guess is that it will turn into a cabbage moth, but we shall see. I hammered some holes in a jar lid and Linus moved it into the jar with so much excitement. He exclaimed, "I love it! Its cute. I love it! I love it! I love it!" As he carried it into the living room he was gushing over it, referring to it as Linus' friend and Linus' caterpillar. He took it to the couch and read stories to it. Later he put it on a shelf in his room next to a rose in a small glass. When he brought it out again he said, "I hug it. I keep it company." Today we cleaned out the jar and gave it fresh lettuce and a stick. He told it, "I love you, caterpillar." That's more than I've ever gotten! He is already talking about it turning into a butterfly and we looked at butterfly books to day dream about what it will become. Now if only we can keep it alive and happy long enough to go through metamorphosis, which will be a great new word in his vocabulary.
Between the caterpillar and the fresh peas, I can already proclaim our CSA experience as a hit and well worth every penny. And to think some people complain about bugs on their produce.
(In the second picture he is wearing the two parts to my embroidery hoop on his head. He told me he was being a king. He wore them while brushing his teeth and then brought the caterpillar with him for bedtime stories.)
3 comments:
Ooh, what fun to have a caterpiller friend! I hope it lives through the entire process so he can witness it!! I like that he said he was being a king. What an imagination! I see he has the Owl Babies book. I love that book!
How fun it will be to see him in a few months. Such a big boy now. Not a prince but a king!
Matthew bought me the owl book when we were dating and I was in my owl phase. (I've also had penguin, hummingbird, and raven phases.) I love reading the story out loud to Linus. It is fun to give each baby owl its own voice. The illustrator did a wonderful job rendering the experience of the owlets.
Post a Comment