Linus likes imaginative play with the Little People, his plastic dinosaurs and animals, stuffed animals, cars, and dolls. He drives the cars around a lot both in the house and on the patio. He has fun pretending to cook and cooking for real with me. He is becoming interested in trains after getting a Thomas book from the library. I also got him a Thomas memory/matching game at a thrift store and he memorized the names of all the characters after playing the game just a few times. He likes to play the game with three boards and giving me one. He'll pick up a card and instantly know whether it matches a spot on my board or one of his. I still can't fathom how his brain processes all that information so quickly.
One thing Linus does not enjoy is the participatory part of story time at the library. He listens when the librarian reads three stories, but has very little interest in the singing, finger play, dancing parts. He no longer sings along with the ABC's and just watches everyone else do the actions to go along with songs. For the umpteenth time, he has not danced the hokey pokey. Last Monday, after a three week break from story time, while I danced the hokey pokey with the group he sat on the floor and looked at a book. I'm thinking about giving up on the story time, since we read all of the time at home and I don't need to do head, shoulders, knees and toes with a group of toddlers to enrich my life. A friend suggested maybe he is beyond that and is bored. She suggested I sign him up for Lil' Kickers, a soccer program for toddlers. That costs a pretty penny and the library is free.
3 comments:
I agree that perhaps he's just outgrown it. Do they have a story time for older kids? I know here we have storytime for babies, 1-2 year olds, and then 3-4, etc., but you don't HAVE to be those ages to go...you can go to whichever is best for your child. Maybe he needs something that engages him more? How cute that he named one of his Little People Brandon. Juniper just chews on hers!
Perhaps Linus is going through a shy period? Is he old enough be embarrassed by the hokey pokey or is that a developmental thing that comes later?
Do you have Kindermusik by you? Brandon never did that but Brian's niece loves it (or at least her parents do and says she loves it, much likes she "LOVES" the princesses you know.)
To Linus - That is very cool. I hope you have fun with Brandon. And I miss you and I love you. Have fun!!!!
Post a Comment