Thursday, September 06, 2007

Berry Picking



Today Annalouiza and I took the babies to Berry Patch Farm in Brighton, which is about 25 minutes north of Denver. We had such a fun time and Linus was talking up a storm the rest of the day. I always interpret that as a sign that something made a big impression on him. When we first entered the grounds, Linus became very excited to see hens and roosters walking around. (I admit, I was also excited. I love chickens.) There were also turkeys in a pen and cute little banty chickens walking around. And numerous barn cats. Needless to say, Linus was in heaven. First we picked raspberries, which is depicted here. Annalouiza was instructing Linus and Lucero on picking red, not green, berries. The two kids couldn't shove the berries into their mouths fast enough. I only ended up with one basketful to bring home. Then we rode out on the wagon to the strawberry patch. Linus thought the tractor and wagon were very cool. The kids were pretty filled up with raspberries, so we were each able to bring home two baskets of strawberries. I had fun cutting my own flowers while Annalouiza watched the kids. Then we took turns watching the kids play while the other shopped in the farm market in the barn. Linus played on the wagon while it was between trips and Lucero played on a bale of straw.

It was the kind of experience that left me with a glow that persists even now, right before bed. For dinner I cooked up the patty pan squash and used an onion that we got at the farm and it felt so good knowing exactly where they came from. I've forgotten what that is like, since I haven't grown my own food since 2002. Linus "helped" me make dinner and when I was cutting up the onion, he grabbed some to eat. I watched to see his response and he proceeded to finish the slice he'd taken. It made me think of my mother, who likes to munch on raw onions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Sara says: Maybe he is too little to know what a raw onion tastes like, you know how lemons don't phase them? Maybe onions don't either. How nice to pick berries. He is adorable!

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful pictures! I love how curious and delighted he is with the bird!!