Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Cup Transition


The other night during dinner, Linus wanted my glass. I decided to give it to him to see how he would do and he did a good job of drinking without spilling it down the front of him. We told him, "Yay!" After every drink he would put the glass down and clap. He associates clapping with "yay." At lunch yesterday I gave him the silver cup we got engraved for him. He did a great job with it. Today, however, he put his food in it and stirred it around. Which isn't a bad job necessarily, but I had intended for him to drink from it.

This morning we met Cheryl at the coffee shop and went and joined her play group at Congress park. Cheryl has Lena, who is a few weeks older than Linus, and Gabriel, who is four. We met some other kids, like Daniel and Matthew. So many kids' and moms' names to remember! Linus has a way of meeting kids every where we go.

At the coffee shop, Linus and Lena played cute little chase and peekaboo games. At the park, they mostly each did their own thing. A boy had stowed his ball under the play equipment and Linus crawled under there to get it. The boy ran over and said in a very snotty way, "No! That's mine." I explained that Linus is little and just wanted to see the ball. The boy yelled again and I said, "Come here Linus. We'll go find someone who is willing to share." Linus was fine with it and ran off to play. On the walk home, Lena sang in a very cute little voice.

I'm starting to hear more about area preschools and some of what I hear is worrisome. In addition to being expensive, one of them asks strange questions on their application, such as whether the child was breast fed and how was he delivered at birth. And that is relevent how, exactly? I didn't think I had to worry about this yet, but apparently all the good preschools have waiting lists.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could just be the light but Linus' hair still has some red in it.

Wow, weird questions for a preschool. If you ask them what's up wit dat, please share because I'm dying to know how they'll explain the relevancy.

Anonymous said...

What weird questions! What does it matter?

Anonymous said...

Bizarre. Some pre-schools out here interview children. An interview??? For a 2-3 year old? Egads. From what I hear, pre-schools everywhere have waiting lists. We've discovered that you just have to do some research, and you can find more welcoming environments. There was also a study done recently showing that kids who go to pre-school are at the same level socially, emotionally, and intellectually than their peers who just play regularly with other children and have parents who read to them at home and do learning activities with them.

Stacey said...

Star, I'm interested in reading about the study. It doesn't surprise me. I'll be honest and not very humble when I say that I believe I'm providing Linus great opportunities to develop socially, emotionally, and intellectually. I strive to do that for Linus' sake and because I enjoy it. Being a stay-at-home mom means I get to use my teaching skills without my having to work as a school teacher and deal with stresses such as the No Child Left Behind Act.

Even so, I think Linus will absolutely love preschool when he is three. He is a very social person and will thrive in that environment.

Anonymous said...

I heard about the study on the news...I'll try to find it on the web and I'll send you the link.