Thursday, September 27, 2007

For Grandpa


This post is dedicated first and foremost to Linus' grandpa, and then to his uncle and great uncles that are car freaks, and lastly to the relatives in the Boston area.

Linus now says car. He points to them and says, "Cah." When he says it he could pass for having a Boston accent. He touches my car tires and says, "Cah." He also likes to pull on the door handle and say, "Cah." Sometimes he says, "Cah, cah, cah." I admit that I'm a bit miffed because he says car over and over, but doesn't say mama much at all.

Alongside this new interest came his first foray into the street without an adult. I was upset about this, but not as frightened as I might have been because our street was closed for the most part due to road construction. He stepped off the curb and strolled into the street behind my parked car. I leapt after him, scooped him up and put him on the sidewalk. Then I launched into a repeat of what I'd read somewhere along the way. Rather than scolding him, I acted frightened and said something along the lines of, "Oh! I'm so scared! I was afraid you would get hurt by a car. We never play in the street because we could get hurt!" He then went about his business like nothing had happened and I shifted gears into the next phase of parenting; the one where I have to worry about his getting run over. (Heavy sigh.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told a mom in my moms' group to look for a costume at "I-pahty" instead of I-party. Eek. I'm sure Linus sounds adorable saying his new words.

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Jon knows Linus has good taste. I have not bought any Studebaker "onesies" yet. But there is plenty of time to get him going on his high school wheels.

Anonymous said...

Where is our Linus?? It's been too long!!

Anonymous said...

johanna is obsessed with cars and busses too, pointing them out and announcing each one. and she also can't say mama or mommy. (yet she says daddy, gigi, gee ga (for grandma)), but I'm "bobby"! sometimes even "Baba". she runs around yelling for daddy, and annouces his entrences into rooms, but never me.