Thursday, November 01, 2007

Halloween




Linus was an owl for Halloween and what a full day it was! I took Linus in to Matthew's work to parade him around a bit in his costume. Then we went to Miss Spider's Tea Party at the Zoo, sans costume. Immediately following Linus' nap, we went to a Halloween party at the home of the organizer for the Congress Park play group. There were two monkeys, a cheerleader, cow, bananna, football player, train conductor, and a dinosaur in attendance. Linus gobbled up a cookie and some mulled cider. Then we rushed home and met up with Matthew to commence with trick-or-treating. Our neighbor, Anna, gave Linus his very first trick-or-treat experience. It was here that he figured out the point of carrying around the pumpkin bucket. After this, he wanted to reach into candy bowls multiple times at each house. We took Linus to our friends' houses, so he visited ten houses in about an hour and a half. We spent time visiting at most of the stops.

When we got home, Linus grabbed out the homemade popcorn ball he got at Bennett's house. We let him eat that and then had dinner. We stashed the candy on top of the refrigerator. Matthew and I are in disagreement about how much candy Linus should get to have. I say one piece. Matthew whined that "how would he know what kind of candy he likes?" I retorted, "An 18-month old doesn't need to know what candy he likes." I'm not a sugar nazi in this household, but would rather Linus had home baked goods.

The smallest pumpkin is Linus'. I carved it for him. Matthew's is the bee. Linus' favorite stuffed animal is his bee from Grandma and Grandpa, so that is what inspired Matthew this year. New words in Linus' vocabulary as a result of the holiday:
Ha-WEEN for Halloween, pu-kin for pumpkin, and cos-TOOOM for costume. He was a good sport and tolerated wearing his costume, which I'd sewn from fleece. I made it big enough to go over his jacket so he would be warm enough. When we could get him to flap his wings, he waved them in front of his body.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, of COURSE Linus was an owl. Hoot, hoot, hoot.

Anonymous said...

Such a cute, wise little owl Linus is!! Good job on the costume! As a candy addict, I'd like to agree with Matthew...let Linus try different kinds of candy. But the practical side of me knows where you're coming from.

Stacey said...

His appetite has decreased, so it is even more important that he doesn't consume empty calories. And this is coming from someone who has a significant sweet tooth.

I let him have a chocolate car last weekend at the Boo and Brew event. So I'm not THAT big of a Scrooge!

Anonymous said...

I was a total Scrooge. I don't recall letting Brandon eat ANY of his candy at Linus' age. But then again, he never liked candy so it might have just been that he didn't want any. He loved getting it and sorting it but didn't care that much about eating it until maybe last year. He does have some favorites now. Airheads - as Aunt Sara can attest - and Skittles, Starburst, the fruity stuff. Which leaves the chocolate for me!!

Anyway, while I knew it had to happen sometime, my heart is sad that Winthrop Linus' Monkey has been dethroned as favorite stuffie.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the owl costume! Any picture of Linus flapping his wings?

What was your costume? Mother Autumn? It looks like Matthew was wearing his graduation robes. Any backstory to that?

Stacey said...

I sewed my costume eight or nine years ago for a Halloween party at Lyz'z. I designed it to be a fairy, but I ended up saying I was a druid wood nymph. Someone at the Boo and Brew event I volunteered for last weekend said I was Autumn Blowing In. Matthew wore his Master's garb because he hadn't planned ahead. His coworkers said it was just like him. And teased him that he was just trying to get more use out of the thing.

No photos of Linus flapping his wings because I have a hard time getting him to do it.