Last night Linus was sitting in my seat at the table having milk before dinner. I came in and saw that he had his monkey's hand through one of the cup's handles and he was helping it drink. It was pretend, so all was well and good, until I came by again and Linus said, "Monkey. Wet." I looked and saw that Linus had put the monkey's mouth in the milk and it came out with a milk mustache and beard. I took it into the kitchen to clean it up and tried to laugh silently so that my laughter wouldn't encourage Linus to continue dunking the monkey. Matthew gently explained to Linus that the monkey could only pretend to drink.
Yesterday Linus strung together three words on two occasions. He said, "Mama do it," and "See you later." This morning he said, "Mama reach it."
Linus is also trying out the objective personal pronoun "her." At the grocery store he kept pointing to women and saying, "Her." I can tell he is thinking about gender from the way we have discussions like this: Linus pointed to me and said "girl." I said, "Yes, I was a girl. I grew up and became a woman." He said, "Woman." Then he pointed to himself and said, "Boy." I said, "Yes, and Matthew is a man." He pointed to my mug and said, "Girl." Then he pointed to his cup and said, "Boy."
3 comments:
What a poignant conversation about gender. Reminds me of when I was a Daisy Girl Scout Leader, and the girls said, "Who is your kid?" I said that I didn't have any kids. They said, "You're a mom without kids?" And I said, "No, I'm not a mom." They replied, "Well, what are you then, a kid?" I said, "No, I'm a grown up woman, but I don't have any kids yet." It seemed very hard for them to understand...to them, it was girl or mom. There was no possibility to just be a woman without kids.
Aunt Sara says" When is he going to say "Aunt Sara is my favorite aunt?" Work on that please. =)
Cute monkey. At least Linus isn't letting his friends "swim" in the toilet.
Post a Comment