Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Please, Please Sleep

Two days in a row now Linus has refused to take a nap at the appointed time and instead passes out on the floor later in the afternoon.  Which messes up his sleep schedule more and then he won't settle down to sleep at the end of the day.  Grrrr.  Hopefully this passes soon.  I shouldn't really complain because he has always been a good sleeper.

His growth must be slowing down because he isn't eating as much as he used to.  He still gets in all of the food groups, but he is really hooked on grapes right now.  My friends regularly tell me that I'm lucky Linus isn't a picky eater. Some of them can only get their kids to eat yogurt and bananas. 

He is definitely shaping up to be a bookworm.   He brings books in to me in the morning and I read a few to him in our bed.  Lately he prefers to stay in the house looking at books over playing outside.  Can you imagine?  I've got him signed up for the library's summer reading program.  It isn't competitive, but if it were, I'm willing to bet he'd leave the other two-year olds in the dust.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you volunteer to cut out 5,000 paper hot air balloons for the library reading program???!! Tee-hee. We were such dorks. How fun for him to be in a reading program! Hate to say it, but perhaps he's getting ready to give up naps...? I know that can happen at this age.

Anonymous said...

That was me.

Anonymous said...

It sounds sort of like a testing of limits as much as lack of need for sleep...Keister used to say you need sleep to grow, so maybe if Linus is not growing right now, he really doesn't need as much sleep?

Matthew stopped napping around two. I tried to reason with him. Didn't work. But I seem to remember instituting quiet time, so that I could catnap while he played in his room. You'll have to ask him if that's real or a fantasy on my part.

Peter used to settle himself down for naps after he turned two, any old place, as needed. I have a photo of him asleep under the rocking horse, and in an armchair.

Wesley usually naps in the car when we take him home (2 yrs, 10 mos) and sometimes doesn't wake up when we haul him out of the car and into the house. But Peter says we tend to wear him out more than other days.
Love,
Jean

Stacey said...

Star, it is funny that you mentioned cutting the hot air balloons. When the librarian was signing Linus up and explaining the program I thought how different the reading program is these days. It is much less labor intensive for the librarians or volunteers. I was tempted to tell the librarian about my experiences with summer reading programs as a participant and volunteer, but decided she probably didn't care.

Anonymous said...

Linus did not sleep today either. I've been trying to talk to him about the necessity of "resting" but I don't expect I've made any impression.

I think our choices may be accept him not napping or reassemble the crib and tell him to stay in there because _we_ need a nap! I've actually taken a nap two weekends in a row.

-Matthew