Monday, July 31, 2006

Little Gardener





Matthew worked much of the weekend for the Container Gardening Contest. This is a new event for the Garden. Linus and I went out fairly early on Saturday to see the entries before it got too hot. The first picture is of the winner for both its category and the People's Choice. Yes, it is a watermelon plant! The second picture is of my favorite entry, which won first place in its category. The prize was $500. Matthew got to join us for a bit and he carried Linus around to show him some plants. I think Linus' favorite container garden was one planted in a small Radio Flyer wagon and it had a little fairy in it.

Last night Linus helped me mow the front yard. He sat in his bouncy seat watching me, the traffic, and the big tree. I took a break and we discussed removing the yew bushes and putting in a cottage garden. When I asked him if we should plant crocuses in honor of him, he got excited. When I asked if we should buy the bulbs from Brent and Becky's Bulbs, he smiled.

After dinner we all went outside and layed on the deck, looking up into the maple tree. Our neighbors came over to share cucumbers from their garden and show us their duckling. Sue got it from her brother and will keep him for a few weeks before taking him back out to the farm. So very cute! It was fun to watch it run after her back to their house.

(Photos aren't loading right now, so check back later.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I vote for ripping out the yew shrubs.