Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Learning


I made whipped cream for the first time the other night. I learned that it is really easy to do and Linus learned how yummy it is. (Nearly all of the whipped cream he has consumed came from the top of my mochas at Kavarna.)

At Linus' 18-month appointment, the doctor told me that he was behind a bit with his speech development. I wasn't particularly concerned because we read a lot every day and I figured he'd catch up verbally. Two or three days later it was like someone flipped his verbal switch and he started repeating me and saying words on his own. We are amazed over and over again as words come out of his mouth. He handed me a puzzle piece the other day and said goldfish. We drove by construction equipment and he said digger. We cuddle up together under his quilt after breakfast each day and before we start reading I say, "Now we're cozy," and he says cozy. Words, words, words all of the time

Last week he pointed at the large print on the cover of a book and wanted me to identify the letters. That was a huge moment. I was blown away by the first real sign of his developing literacy. That lead me to print a full-color alphabet poster off the internet. We have it hanging on the side of the refrigerator next to his little table.

Witnessing his language and future reading skills develop is such a beautiful thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now is when you teach him the following:

"Aunt Stephanie" and

"I love Aunt Stephanie" and

"I want to visit Aunt Stephanie"

Anonymous said...

Sara says: No, Sara is easier to say. Aunt Sara. Uncle Billy. Please work on those words. =)

Anonymous said...

Also, have him say flamingo because babies saying "flamingo" are cute.

Betsy Cole said...

That's so weird! The exact same thing happened with Wesley's 2-year doctor appointment. The doctor was talking about Early Intervention (which I rejected) because of his sloppy pronunciation and low sentence use. And in the days after, it was that same switch thing. All of a sudden, he was using sentences of 4, 5, 6 words, and his pronunciation was so much clearer.

Kids are funny like that. I'm glad to hear Linus is doing well, and he's so cute! I hope we get a chance to see him again soon. :)