Saturday, November 01, 2008

Pumpkin Moonshine






We helped Linus carve his pumpkin Thursday night.  He spent a very long time diligently pulling out and separating each seed to put in a bowl for me to roast.  He asked for it to have a silly face.  During the carving process he asked dozens of questions.  I'm not exaggerating at all when I say he asked that many questions.  When exposed to something new, Linus asks lots of questions and repeats some of them until he feels satisfied that he understands it.  I wrote down some of what he asked.

Why is it Halloween?
Why are pumpkins orange?
Why do we eat the seeds?
Why do we put them in the bowl?
What is that hard thing?  (It was the base of the pumpkin.)
Why is the pumpkin on the table?
Why don't we eat this part?
We'll make a pumpkin moonshine and it will be cute?
Why we put a candle inside there?
Why will we turn the light off?

Linus learned about calling a jack o'lantern a pumpkin moonshine from a very cute library book by Tasha Tudor called Pumpkin Moonshine.

Trick-or-treating went well.  The weather was warm enough that we didn't need to wear coats.  I pulled out my wood nymph costume once again, but I added an Obama button to it.  Matthew shoved his head into the owl hat I made for Linus' costume last year.  Linus was an adorable lion and did a pretty good job of saying, "Trick or treat!" and "Thank you."  Early on in the evening he pulled out a dum dum sucker to eat and then he wanted to eat a bag of M&Ms. I told him he'd have to wait until we got home because the candy would spill out of the bag.  I think he didn't get off to bed until well after nine because we let him eat his fill of candy. 

He was interested in learning the names of the different candies and really wanted to know why Skittles have the letter S on them.  He also offered me some of his Skittles and M&Ms.  He didn't like the cinnamony Hot Tamales.  He's asked for his candy twice today, but we told him both times it was too early in the day for candy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I this Linus makes a perfect lion! He asks very good questions, too. What a smart little fellow!

Anonymous said...

Follow up: Finished his Halloween candy in two and a half weeks. that is much faster than I remember eating my own. He also shared with his parents!