Saturday, August 05, 2006

Busy Summer Days/First Food




Linus has had an action-packed few days! Thursday morning Linus learned how to pull on Miss Cow on his bouncy seat and make her play Old MacDonald Had a Farm. I got so excited, I called Matthew at work to share the news about Linus' new talent. Around noon we met up with friends of mine to have a picnic in a downtown park with a a jazz group playing some great music. Linus had fun walking around with my friend Jeanne, meeting all sorts of new people. That evening Matthew, Linus, and I attended the concert at the Garden. There was a large crowd, with people in their lawn chairs lined up along the path we took to our favorite spot to sit. As we walked by with Linus, I could hear, "Ohhhhhh," as people looked at our adorable child. Made me feel like we were royalty. Or at least Linus was. We chose to attend this event instead of Taste on Broadway because we thought Linus would like it more. He was worn out by the end, but hung in there until we got home to feed him before tucking him in.

On Friday, Linus and I went to help Kristin with canning dilly beans. Linus was a trouper, as was Kristin, since I wasn't particularly helpful while looking after Linus.

Today was the big day: first food. Just as the book described, he made a face, but still swallowed it and accepted more. I figured Matthew should give Linus his first food since I was the first to feed Linus when he was born. We both took a turn spoonfeeding him rice cereal and cheering him on. The first picture is of Linus' first spoonful. As you can see from the second picture, taken several spoonfuls later, he was raring to go. He didn't have any allergic reactions, so Matthew fed him cereal again while I made dinner. He was definitely getting the hang of this cereal business.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOH! Is Linus using Matthew's cup and spoon in the picture?

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's the family heirloom. I and my brother both had cups for our juice, but this is my father's from when he was a child. The spoon is still large for Linus' mouth, but the cup is well suited to mixing tiny batches of cereal.

Anonymous said...

Such a big milestone for Linus! I finally looked at the pictures from when Linus stayed with us and I did get a few good ones. There are some cute ones of Linus being "ottoman-sized". The best pictures are the ones Brian took with his cell phone but we don't know how to get them from the phone to anything else.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I'm glad Linus didn't lose his appetite after watching you clean the grossness off the high chair.