Monday, November 24, 2008

Project




One day last week Linus took his scissors and a ball of yarn downstairs. Then he came back up to get his little chair.  I asked him what he was doing and he said, "A project. I'm making Thomas." I continued doing dishes and then my mother's intuition kicked in and I thought I'd better go see what he was up to with those scissors.  He was cutting the yarn into many pieces.  I suggested he do it upstairs by me, but he said he had to do it downstairs.  While he was cutting he said, "I'm being careful. I won't cut my pants."  This was a risk as you can see from his technique.  Then he took some of the yarn pieces into my craft room and brought Winthrop and Bee in for a sewing lesson.  I watched him proceed to sit at my sewing machine, put down the presser foot, and pretend to sew a Thomas.  (He is all about Thomas and those trains these days.)  Then he made a Percy, James, and Skarloey.  He kept referring to it as "my Skarloey project."  Can you tell he hears about projects from me all of the time?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara said: Is he right or left handed? That cutting techique does not quite show which one he is!

Anonymous said...

What is a Skarloey? Brandon was never into Thomas so we're not up on that one.

Stacey said...

Linus is right handed. "Skarloey that red train," says Linus. Skarloey is one of Thomas' friends.

Anonymous said...

When do you know if your kid is right or left handed? John and I have been wondering that.

I think Linus looks very crafty. It truly must be in our genes.

Stacey said...

Jean said she'd read somewhere that kids settle on their particular handedness about the time they become verbal. I'm not exactly sure when it started for Linus, but for quite a while now he has been right handed.

We do a craft project 4-5 times a week and he enjoys the process a lot, no matter the outcome.

Anonymous said...

The source of the information was my brother who was a pediatrician.
Jean

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Linus with the yarn. One of these days I'll come back and teach him to knit!