Sunday, November 09, 2008

Road Construction

Linus received the most wonderful and complete set of wooden blocks from his grandparents.  They have brought him nothing but joy and delight since they arrived in the mail.  He loves to build roads more than anything else.  He plans out detailed routes and narrates the building process down to the tiniest minutiae.  He puts on a pretend hard hat and then sets up ramps, curves, and parking lots.  At times he uses his wooden lock box to be a destination to which the pig car drives home.  He sets up a road every day and then he and Matthew put it away before bed time.

For obvious reasons, this has been a big week.  I'm still giddy that Obama won the presidency and I'm feeling so much more proud to be an American.  I also made a point to tell Linus that hopefully by the time he is grown up, men can marry men and women can marry women.  The passage of Proposition 8 in California saddens me great deal.  It conflicts greatly with Obama's win.  The Personhood Amendment was soundly defeated here in Colorado.  I can't believe I am still fighting the battle over a woman's right to choose. I've been fighting this since I was 18 years old.  I hope by the time Linus is 18 it is no longer an issue.

Leading up to my birthday Linus told me, "We are hiding your presents because it is a secret. We wrapped the book so you can't see it."  All in all, he did a good job of keeping the presents a secret from me.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara said: At least he didn't tell you what kind of books they were. Hey, what kind were they?

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift from Grandma and Grandpa!! How fun that he's enjoying trains so much!! :)

We're giddy here, too, but sad about the same things you are. I look at Juniper and it just makes me want to fight harder to protect her rights to choose and marry whomever she wishes. Our work is never done, is it??

Anonymous said...

One of the pundits commented on election night how America's elasticity and ability to change is amazing as demonstrated by us electing Bush and then four years later electing Obama. Ummm....okay. I think change is VERY SLOW to come in this country. Civil rights of all kinds, racism and other prejudice, etc are battles that have been fought for eons.