Thursday, August 10, 2006

TALL Baby


Linus has liked playing "Tall Baby" for quite a while. He's nearly always enjoyed standing up on our laps with our support. It turns out he really is a tall baby. He is 26 inches long, which puts him at the 90th percentile. Wow! I guessed right on with that one. He weighed in at 15 pounds, 7 ounces. I was only off by an ounce. This puts him in the 75th percentile for weight. He is still in the 75th percentile for his head size. Dr. Gast says he has no concerns about Linus and that he is doing well.

Linus seemed fine after his shots, but then started crying really hard at 3:30 p.m. and didn't stop for well over an hour. Something was definitely wrong. He had a temperature, but what is considered normal after immunizations. I called Matthew, who kindly came home from work, and I called the doctor's office. After being on hold a very long time for his nurse, she took down my concerns and said she'd give the doctor the message when he was finished with his patient. We never heard back. After over an hour, I called back and got the after hours nurse. She said to give Linus Tylenol because maybe he was in pain. By this time Linus had cried himself to sleep and woke up with smiles. I went and picked up some Tylenol and gave him some. He slept through the night and seems happy with the world. I, however, slept fitfully. It is really stressful when something is obviously wrong with your baby and you don't know what it is. I'm also still upset that I never got a call back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's terrible that they never called you back. It's bad enough when you're calling about something for yourself but when it's a little baby you're worried about, it's so much worse. But he sounds fine now so that's good. With as much "stuff" as all those shots put into his tiny little body all at once, I would think he just felt out of sorts.

Stacey said...

The nurse called at 10:30 this morning and left a message. She said they were unable to reach me last night. Yeah, because they didn't call. I know Dr. Gast is very busy and that she probably wanted to head home, but why couldn't they have the after hours nurse call me. I'm surprised by this because my doctor works in the same office and I've never had problems with them getting back to me. And I called in a number of times this spring with all my problems. I guess I'll chalk this up as a one time thing. If it happens again, I'll have my doctor see Linus.

Stacey said...

P.S. If you click on the photo to make it larger, you'll see that Linus is drooling on Matthew!

Anonymous said...

Yes, he's drooling. I think I'm trying to deflect it with my fingers...